Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut
1.1K views

I bought a 10kw generac standby with auto transfer switch in 2011. I have never lost power so it has only run for the 20 test run every week since being installed.

Last week I had to have my well redrilled and the power line was right above the well. the power company came out to move the power line and we had to run on the generator for the next few days. after the fourth day running it stopped. Not because of being out of oil but because of the stepper motor stopped working and the warning code came up as motor overwind.

After checking with my authorized generac repair man, he told me the generator was not ment to run for more than a few hours at a time and I was supposed to stop it and let it cool down. Ridiculous to have to do this. My wife and I travel many times a year and the purpose of installing a generac generator was so that I would have no worries. Nowhere does it tell you to shut it down to cool down.

I would never have bought it knowing this. I will sell it and buy another next week but it won't be from Generac ever again

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person stated that there is a room for improvement of having to stop it to cool down. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of generac 10 kw unit. Generac Power Systems needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned generac 10 kw unit in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Generac Power Systems.

Comments

#1042052

The service man who told you that was mistaken. There were a series of bad stepper motors produced and installed on 10 and 20 kw units, and Generac refused to admit it officially but we were authorized to replace any that failed under warranty.

The generator should be checked for low oil if it runs for several days straight. I have had 2 customers that ran theirs for 7 days straight during super storm Sandy.

The Generac ohiv engine is custom made in America and built to withstand the riggors of continued standby use. I have been installing Generac for 8 years and have been an authorized factory dealer and service provider for 6 years

to Anonymous #1397772

Dear Anon: I need a stepper motor replaced on a Generac Guardian 14kw....about how long should that take, would you know . Just trying to position myself to know if I'm getting ripped off when I get an estimate. I found the motor , it's around $60.00