Generac neighbor waiting for sound barrier

Todd Schelfhout, For USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin 9:31 a.m. CDT July 7, 2016

Homes-Generators_Atki.jpg

(Photo: AP )

I currently live across the street from Generac Generator, 3815 Oregon, Oshkosh, which currently resides in the former Baldor Electric facility since 2015. Generac currently manufactures a large industrial generator the size of semi-trailers, while Baldor Electric manufactured a smaller trailer generator.

I purchased my home in 2004 and in October 2015, my neighbors and I starting hearing a loud, low-tone, penetrating noise coming from Generac's facility at all hours of the day and night. Due to the annoyance of the noise and the reduction of our quality of life, I contacted Generac Corp. about the noise coming out of their facility.

Their response to us was, "We are in accordance with the City of Oshkosh's Noise Ordinance." I then emailed the local plant manager at the Oshkosh plant with my complaint and his response was the same.

Then for some reason in December 2015, the VP of operations at the corporate office at Generac in Waukesha contacted me by phone and mentioned they would consider putting in a sound barrier; however, he mentioned it might not work.

After multiple emails to the VP of operations about my concerns with no positive response or action about the sound barrier, I went before the Common Council of Oshkosh in March and May with my complaint. The city manager and the chief of police then contacted Generac. After their conversation with Generac, they told me that even though Generac isn't obligated by law, because they are compliant with the city of Oshkosh's noise ordinance, Generac was going to put in a noise barrier in May 2016 and now that has been changed to June 2016. It is almost the end of June and nothing.

Note: I live in the town of Black Wolf, and the noise coming out of Generac would not be compliant with the town's noise ordinance; however, the city of Oshkosh noise ordinance overrules.

I'm pro-business, however, the noise coming from the testing of these large generators at unannounced times during the day and night, from 5 a.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Saturday, is too much to tolerate and is decreasing the value of our homes and destroying our quality of life.There was a night the generators ran continuously from 10:30 p.m. until 5 a.m. The noise is never predictable, it could go all night without noise and then at 9 p.m. it starts and runs until the shift is over. My neighbor and I have made numerous calls to the Oshkosh Police Department, after 10:30 p.m.

My question to you is, "What moral and ethical responsibility does a business/manufacturer owe to its residents and the community? What would your business do in a situation like this?" I don't have a problem with the manufacture of their generators; however, the testing of these industrial generators I believe should be done in a rural setting clear of any residential homes.

My sole purpose of this letter is to get input and opinions on this situation. What do you believe a business's responsibility is to its community and its neighbors when it comes to noise coming out of their business? I’m currently putting my home up for sale. I shouldn’t have to do that.

Todd Schelfhout

Oshkosh

CONNECT

LINKEDIN

schef25 wrote the review because of "noise" at Generac Power Systems. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $666 and wants Generac Power Systems to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

The most disappointing in user's experience was noise destroying my quality of life and value of my home. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Generac Power Systems industrial generator for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Generac Power Systems?

Comments