89 views
Verified Reviewer

1.1

I purchased a generac 10 kw unit in 2008, and by 2010, it had blown seals and belched smoke for 5 minutes before dying. I was told that because it was in an off grid environment, I had no warranty.

I needed a generator and the only one available was a 17 kw unit. I used it for about a year until generac came out with their ecogen series for off grid applications. I took the 17kw out, and used it at another location, (it subsequently died as well), replacing it with a 6kw ecogen off grid unit. This unit was only used as backup to a battery bank that is charged by my solar array.

With 46 hours on this unit I had a repeat of the catastrophic failure of my first unit. Still well within my warranty period, I placed a call to generac's service team and requested a replacement. Three weeks and many phone calls later, they finally acquiesced. They replaced the unit with an identicle unit and said good luck.

54 hours into this ones useful life, I had a repeat of the first one, complete with smoke billowing out just before a final shut down. Many phone calls to customer service, with a threat of posting a video of the generator blowing up on Generacdotsucks, I was told that I would be receiving a 15kw ecogen as a replacement. All was fine for the next five years until I started getting gate faults and error codes. The technician, who I have come to know very well by this time, told me that my engine had, "blown up".

I am awaiting delivery of a Kohler 14kw off grid unit which I am hopeful will deliver a better record than the five previous boat anchors I had. Generac as a company is surviving on its name recognition.

Their products are crap, and as long as I live, I will never own another, and I will discourage anyone who asks to steer as far away from them as possible. Try Kohler first.Run

User's recommendation: Run away from Generac. They are trash. I wish I could record zero stars to the questions below.

Product or Service Mentioned: Generac Power Systems Generator.

Preferred solution: Apology.