349 views
Verified Reviewer

2.0

I bought a 20kw Generac unit about 6 years ago through Lowes and installed by BL Ott, an authorized Generac installer. On the first annual service visit, 6 (six) days after warranty expired (only one (1) year and never offered the option to extend it), I was informed that the rear main seal was leaking, and I was out of warranty, but BL Ott was going to contact Generac.

Their reply (much to the annoyance of Ott) was that the warranty was indeed expired and the $1800 repair job was on me. Ott offered to do the job for $1200, but I honestly wasn't in a position to cover it, so I simply kept a close eye on oil consumption.

Today, now 7 years into the oil leak situation the technician from BL Ott comes to perform the annual service/inspection, and says he's got good news and bad news. Good news is that the unit is operating. The bad news is that due to a potentially known defect in Generac's head casting procedure, the head has many fine cracks, and is spraying oil over the entire inside of the hosing.

My choices are: 1) rebuild engine; 2) factory refurbished engine; or 3) buy a whole new unit.

I am a disabled Vietnam veteran on a fixed income. My wife is an RN and I gather you understand what that means with CV19 in full bloom. I feel for the people at BL Ott. They've done all they should and then some, but to no avail with Generac.

Their reply was to the effect that the generator is a mechanical device, and as such is subject to these types of issues.

This is really sad, as I convinced two of my neighbors to buy Generac units as well (a 22kw and a 20kw) and according to information I've been able to find, they're likely to be in for the same problem down the road. Swell.Wtf

User's recommendation: Beat them up to get the extended warranty.

Product or Service Mentioned: Generac Power Systems Generator.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments